1. Visa Application

You may apply for your Chinese  Visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in your home country. When applying for  your visa, please remember to bring along with you your valid passport, the  original copy of the university's admission notification and a Visa Application  Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (also known as the JW201/JW202  form). Do make sure that your letter of admission and JW202 form are handed back  to you together with your passport after obtaining your Chinese visa. You will  need these documents to apply for Residence Permit after your arrival in  Beijing.

International Students who will be studying in  China for more than 6 months are required to obtain an ‘X1'  Visa.

Important: (1) The‘X1’ Visa will is  only valid for 30 days after your arrival. You must apply for a Residence Permit  within these 30 daysYou would be otherwise considered  staying illegally and heavily fined.

(2) According to Chinese law and  regulations, students with visa-free access cannot get any other valid visa  within mainland China. PLEASE apply for X1/X2/L visa before you come to  China.

It is not advisable to arrive way before the day of  registration since you will not be able to apply for a Residence Permit prior to  registration.

'X1' Visa Sample

Students who will be studying in China for less than 6  months may apply for an ‘X2' Visa.

X2' Visa Sample

Students who plan to come to China one month before the  day of registration may apply for a tourist visa, known as ‘L' Visa.

Tourist Visa/ ‘L' Visa  Sample

For information regarding the location and the contacts  of the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in your country, please visit the Chinese  Ministry of Foreign Affairs at